Natural Remedies for a Sore Throat
Every once in a while, we suffer from a cold- the result- a sore throat and a running nose. As simple as it may sound, cold and cough actually drains a lot of physical and mental energy off our bodies.
Natural Remedy for a Sore Throat
Cardamom & Cinnamon
How The Sore Throat Home Remedy Works
A sore throat develops when your larynx becomes inflamed and can cause pain, discomfort and persistent coughing.
This cinnamon and cardamom remedy helps to treat a sore throat in the following ways:
- Cardamom: Cardamom calms your throat and helps to relieve many of the unpleasant symptoms associated with a sore throat.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon has a warming and soothing effect on the throat which helps to eliminate any soreness.
How To Prepare The Homemade Sore Throat Remedy
- 1 teaspoon of cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of hot water
- Add herbs to the hot water and let it steep for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, strain the water into another cup using a fine mesh strainer and drink it.
- Drink this remedy up to 4 times per day until the sore throat subsides.
While you can always rely on medications and drugs to tackle sore throat problems, here are a few simple herbal remedies that could help you calm down the symptoms naturally.
Myrobalan is one of the best-known herbal remedies found when it comes to tackling throat infections and its associated symptoms, which include sore throat. It has been found that the extracts of this herb could be helpful in tackling cold and cough, and thanks to its amazing astringent and anti-inflammatory properties, it could curb the symptoms associated with sore throat.
Packed with gallic acid, sterols and tannins, this herb is extremely valuable in boosting overall health and strengthening the immune system, protecting it against a wide range of infections.
Slippery elm is yet another herbal remedy found to be effective in tackling various symptoms associated with infection of the throat, including soreness of the throat. The inner bark of this herb is especially useful thanks to its anti-inflammatory action, and is thought to cure burns and wounds too.
This herb is mucilaginous in nature, which promotes speedy healing of tissues and prevents infections but stopping the growth of bacteria.
Myrrh is a thorny herb, and is believed to be an excellent natural cure for sore throats. The bark of this herb is thought to contain a resin that is helpful in preventing bacterial growth that is linked to sore throats and gum diseases.
This herb is also known to possess certain vital polysaccharides, oils and terpenoids that possess astringent and antibacterial properties that prevent the growth of bacteria that cause the infection.
Garlic does a lot more than just adding flavor to your dishes. It is believed that the antibacterial and antiviral properties of garlic come handy in tackling sore throats other symptoms associated with cold and other respiratory tract infections. Garlic can be taken in its raw form or in the form of an herbal tea to calm down and soothe the internal linings of the throat. Garlic is also thought to be packed with nutrients that boost the body’s ability to fight against diseases.
Also known as andrographis, this herb is found in some parts of the US and is not very popular, however, it has established its importance in tackling cold and flu and many other related symptoms. Several studies have found how the extracts of this herb could be useful in calming down irritation of the throat.
The extracts of sage leaves are thought to be extremely effective in reducing soreness of the throat. A couple of teaspoons of sage leaves, when added to a cup of boiling water and then draining it away could make for a soothing herbal drink that proves to be a wonderful natural remedy for cold and cough and sore throats.
Many other herbs have been found to be effective in tackling throat infections and its symptoms.
Some of the most popular herbs that most herbal medicine practitioners use are listed below.
- Peppermint- an herb packed with antiviral properties that curbs inflammation of tissues and reduces infectious bacterial growth.
- Marshmallow root- packed with soothing properties that are excellent for a sore throat.
- Thyme- best at fighting infection causing bacteria and strengthening immunity
- Licorice root- an impressive anti-inflammatory agent that reduces swelling and soreness of the throat.
- Lemon grass- packed with vitamin A that strengthens the mucus membranes and prevents growth of infection causing bacteria
- Astragalus-an immune system tonic and helps the body fight off infectious agents
- Ginger– possesses excellent anti-inflammatory properties that dispels lung congestions and relieves infection related symptoms
- Rose hips-rich in vitamin C that strengthens the immune system
- Elder flower-a mild diaphoretic that lowers down fever naturally
These herbs should always be taken with the advice of a healthcare practitioner, and the recommended dosage should always be followed.
Herbal teas in particular, are effective in curbing soreness of the throat.