Also known as Juglans Nigra, the black walnut tree is a flowering tree that belongs to the walnut family, and is native to Eastern North America. This large deciduous tree is known to attain heights of 30 to 40 m, and boasts of grey-black barks which are often used for making solid wood furniture.
What sets this tree apart is its long, pinnately compound leaves. Black walnut is also popularly known for its nut, which is a component in many different foods, and is known to possess valuable medicinal properties.
The most valuable therapeutic properties of this tree are present in the outer covering (the hull) of its nut, which is a component of different medicines.
Here we’ve listed down some popular uses of black walnut
- Black walnut is packed with several important micronutrients including omega 3 fatty acids, magnesium, potassium and tannins, which contain beneficial anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- It also contains oleic acid, palmitic acid, linolenic acid, stearic acid, unsaturated fat, protein and several essential fatty acids.
- Thanks to its high nutritive value, black walnut is also used as a dietary supplement.
- Several studies have found how the consumption of black walnut could improve cardiovascular health and reduce the risk of several potentially dangerous heart problems.
- Black walnut is also popularly used as a natural treatment for heartburn, asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels.
- The extracts of this plant are also thought to be useful in dealing with constipation and certain other conditions, particularly infections such as yeast infections, candida, thrush, heart disease and even cancer.
- Topical application of black walnut extracts are known to be helpful in dealing with warts, canker sores and psoriasis.
- Black walnut extracts may also be applied directly to the skin to reduce pain and swelling and speed up drying of body fluid such as mucous.
- Some studies have found black walnut to be useful in dealing with leukemia.
- Parasitic worm infections, syphilis, diphtheria and other infections may be treating by using black walnut extracts as an herbal treatment.