Also commonly known as the German chamomile or true chamomile; this flowering plant belongs to the Asteraceae (daisy) family. Native to Europe and Asia, chamomile has been in use for different health conditions, particularly those pertaining to the digestive system, since the ancient times.
The ancient Europeans employed chamomile extracts to deal with different digestive ailments, particularly to ease the discomfort and spasms in the digestive tract. Chamomile is also now used all over the world as a natural treatment for a wide range of health conditions.
The extracts of the flower of this plant are now available in the liquid, tea and capsule form.
Here are some common health conditions and that can be dealt with by chamomile extracts.
- One of the most popular uses of chamomile extracts is to induce sleep. The flowers of chamomile contain valuable oils that are thought to help relax the body and mind, and bring about natural, sound sleep; which is perfect for insomniac patients and those suffering from different sleep disorders.
- Chamomile extracts are best used for dealing with different digestive problems. They are often used by natural and herbal medicine practitioners to deal with digestive system problems like irritable bowel syndrome, indigestion, diarrhea, constipation and more.
- The extracts of chamomile have also been applied topically to deal with inflammation associated with hemorrhoids.
- Chamomile oils and teas are best used as a natural de-stressor, since they are known to hold valuable anti-anxiety properties that act as a natural treatment for stress.
- Extracts of this plant, which contain anti-inflammatory properties, are also added to beauty products to combat acne and other skin conditions.
- Chamomile is also known for its effectiveness in preventing and treating many other health conditions including eczema, gingivitis, Crohn’s disease, canker sores, colic, migraine, menstrual disorders etc.
One should take care before using chamomile extract as a natural treatment since it has been known to cause certain allergic reactions in some people.
Pregnant women should avoid using chamomile extracts since they can cause uterine contractions and cause miscarriage.
Chamomile also contains compounds that cause blood thinning; which is why, it should be avoided by people suffering from bleeding disorders or who are taking anticoagulants.