Belonging to the family Fabaceae, fenugreek is an annual plant that was bought into cultivation in the Near East. The leaves of this plant are often consumed as food, and its seeds, which are believed to carry valuable medicinal properties, are commonly used in many food preparations in the Indian subcontinent.
The yellow-amber colored seeds of this herb are commonly added to many Indian food preparations, particularly curries, and is also used as a natural medicine for those suffering from diabetes. It is believed that fenugreek works by slowing down the absorption of sugars in the stomach, and stimulates the production of insulin, thus making diabetes even more manageable.
This natural spice was found to have many health benefits, and is now used by many herbal medicine practitioners around the world to deal with some health conditions.
- Digestive problems such as irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, inflammation of the internal linings of the stomach, loss of appetite etc. can be handled using fenugreek seeds as a natural treatment.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of this herb is believed to work wonderfully when it comes to dealing with external pain and swelling. The extracts of fenugreek can be applied directly to the skin in the form of a poultice, and can reduce pain and swelling on a particular region.
- The extracts of this herb are also believed to be helpful in reducing swelling of lymph nodes, muscle pain, eczema, leg ulcers, toe pain and other similar condition.
- Fenugreek seeds have also been effective against many problems of the male reproductive system including erectile dysfunction, hernia etc.
- Lactating women can improve milk flow by taking fenugreek seeds with their daily diet.
- Fenugreek is also well known for its heart-protecting properties. It helps prevent hardening of the arteries and reduces blood cholesterol levels and triglyceride levels.
- Those suffering from kidney ailments can experience benefits by taking fenugreek as a natural remedy.
- Fenugreek is found effective against many other health conditions including diabetes, tuberculosis, cellulitis, bronchitis, beriberi, boils, ulcers, chapped lips, chronic cough and even cancer!