Ginseng belongs to the family Araliacea, and is one of the 11 species of slow-growing perennial plants, and is known for its amazing medicinal properties all around the world. There are many different types of ginseng (Siberian ginseng and American ginseng being the most popular), many of them possessing adaptogenic properties.
Ginseng is known to contain steroid-like compounds also known as ginsenosides. Some evidence also suggests that ginseng may possess heating properties that improve blood circulation.
The extracts of roots and leaves of ginseng were in use since the ancient times, and were effective as a natural medicine.
Let’s find out more about the medicinal properties of ginseng and its current use
- A form of ginseng, known as Panax ginseng, is a popular natural remedy that improves mental ability. The extracts of this herb are thought to relieve mental fatigue and improve memory and concentration.
- Some studies have found that the extracts of ginseng may be effective in management of diabetes. Patients suffering from type 2 diabetes were found to have better blood sugar control after taking extracts of ginseng.
- A study published in the Journal of Urology also found that those suffering from erectile dysfunction could have better improvements in their condition after taking ginseng extracts in the supplemental form. What’s more, ginseng was found to be much more effective than placebo or other medications when it came to dealing with impotence and erectile dysfunction.
- It is believed that ginseng may also be helpful in dealing with a wide range of other heath concerns including depression, anxiety, headache, insomnia, stress, fever and other disorders of the mental origin.
- Though there is insufficient evidence to support this fact, some herbal medicine practitioners believe that those suffering from asthma, inflammatory conditions, hangover, diabetes, chronic fatigue syndrome, fever, fibromyalgia and even cancer can experience improvement in their condition after the use of ginseng as a natural remedy.
- Some studies also reveal that ginseng may help slow down the process of ageing, boost stamina, improve sports performance, boost memory and concentration and also stimulate the immune system to function better.