Also known as yellow puccoon or orangeroot, Goldenseal is a perennial herb native to the northeastern United States and southeastern Canada. Belonging to the buttercup family, this herb as a good number of valuable therapeutic properties that are now applauded by herbalists all around the world.
The roots of this herb are believed to be a rich source of many important nutrients, and are used in the dried form in different herbal medicines and supplements. The chemical berberine, which is a component of this herb, is an effective remedy against bacterial and fungal infection, and is also an overall health promoter.
Here are some common and popular areas where ginseng is being used as a remedy.
- Goldenseal extracts are best used as a natural treatment for urinary tract infections – they help prevent the bacteria that cause this infection from sticking to the walls of the urinary tract, and help them get flushed out of the body through urine.
- Some early research has found golsenseal to be helpful in lowering blood sugar levels and reducing the levels of bad cholesterol in the body, which makes it among the best herbs for the heart.
- Some herbalists also use goldenseal to deal with ringing in the ears, deafness and earache.
- Women suffering from complications associated with the menstrual cycle and experiencing vaginal pain can have improvements by taking goldenseal extracts.
- Goldenseal is also commonly used for other infectious conditions such as stuffy nose, cold, cough, upper respiratory tract infections and hay fever.
- The roots of this herb may also help improve gastrointestinal health and prevent conditions like hemorrhoids, diarrhea, intestinal gas, colitis, gastritis, stomach pain, constipation and other digestive problems.
- In some parts of the world, goldenseal extracts are also used as an eyewash to prevent inflammatory conditions of the away and to keep away eye problems like pink eye and conjunctivitis.
- Several skin problems like herpes blisters, cold sores, ulcers, rashes, eczema, dandruff, acne, ringworm etc. can be handled better by using goldenseal extracts and applying it topically.