Also known as Humulus Lupulus, hops is a common plant that has now established its use in many different therapeutic areas. Dried extracts of the flowering part of this plant is believed to contain many essential medicinal properties that may be helpful in curing a wide range of diseases.
Native to Europe and Northern America, hops are actually a component of many beers, and its flower cones are thought to be the ones that impart flavor and bitterness. The antibacterial activity of hops has now made it a component of many deodorants, and it has also been used for other medical applications.
Let’s take a closer look and understand the different uses of this herb, and how it is being used today.
- The antibacterial properties of hops make it one of the best natural treatments for different skin disorders. The extracts of this plant can be applied topically to bring relief, and is commonly applied to the legs to soothe leg ulcers.
- The female flowers of this plant are thought to be helpful in the treatment of several disorders including insomnia, diabetes, arthritis, fibromyalgia and even menopausal symptoms.
- Certain studies have found that the extracts of this plant could possess certain properties and substances that enhance health.
- Hops has also been found to be helpful in protecting against various forms of cancers including bladder cancer, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, prostate cancer etc.
- The extracts of this herb are also used by many herbalists today to deal with intestinal cramps, tuberculosis, nerve pain, bladder infections, high blood cholesterol levels and prolonged erection of the penis.
- Among the best known benefits of the use of hops is its ability to enhance sleep, thereby preventing insomnia and other sleep disorders, and its effectiveness in reducing the severity of symptoms associated with mental disorders like ADHD, excitability, irritability, anxiety, restlessness, tension etc.
- The extracts of hops are also used to help stimulate the appetite and increase urine output, and also sometimes to enhance the flow of breast milk.