An evergreen tree found growing in Nigeria, the Congo and Gabon, Yohimbe is known for its therapeutic properties. Yohimbe contains some active compounds known as alkaloids, of which the principal alkaloid is called yohimbine.
Yohimbine is now sold as a prescription drug in the United States, and is effective against a wide range of conditions.
The bark of this tree is also sold as a health food in various stores.
- Yohimbine contains mild stimulating and aphrodisiac properties, and is now also being explored as a natural remedy for type 2 diabetes.
- Yohimbe is believed to help arouse sexual desire, and may act as an effective natural treatment for conditions relating to the reproductive system including erectile dysfunction, impotence etc., especially those caused as a side effect of use of depression medications.
- It is also believed that yohimbe could boost athletic performance.
- The extracts of this tree could also help deal with diabetic nerve pain, chest pain, high blood pressure, low blood pressure, exhaustion and depression.
- Yohimbe is believed to contain certain chemicals that improve the blood flow to the nerve impulses to the penis or vagina.
- Traditionally, yohimbe extracts were used in Africa as a treatment for cold, cough, leprosy, fever and also as an aphrodisiac.
- Yohimbine is also used as an herbal remedy for depression, as it is known to block the production of an enzyme known as monoamine oxidase.
- Some herbal medicine practitioners also believe that this herb may increase lipolysis, which helps build the body and also improves athletic performance.
- Today, yohimbine is sold as an OTC prescription drug in the US, and is believed to act as a natural remedy for erectile dysfunction.
- This herb is also believed to help curb sexual problems in both men and women, and keep the reproductive system functioning properly.