Home Remedy Dry Skin Lotion
My daughter has developed a dermatitis when she was 1 year old. Since then we’ve tried countless lotions, ultra-moisturizing creams and anything we could find, hoping the quality of her skin will improve.
Her skin is very dry. I used to wake up in the middle of the night as she scratched, making some weird noise, like rubbing some polystyrene balls. It was scarring. She scratched and scratched until she got some bumps that eventually would start to bleed. I felt so powerless, especially as the doctors told me that there is no cure for this disease.
I began researching the Internet for some natural remedies, because I didn’t believe in the conventional ones anymore. And I discovered natural butters (like shea, coconut, cocoa, etc) and oils (almond, argan, calendula, etc).
As I began to try each one of them, I discovered that her skin wasn’t as dry as before and we both could sleep all night long. So, I thought to myself that I should combine them in order to have all their benefits put together. And that’s how this lotion was born.
You will need:
- 3 tbsp shea butter
- 2 tbsp mango butter
- 2tbsp coconut butter
- 20 ml almond oil
- 20 ml calendula oil
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 30 drops essential oil for scent (I prefer citrus smell, like orange)
- 1 jar
- 1 small pan half filled with water
- 1 container to store your lotion
All these butters and oils are cold pressed, unrefined. This way you get all the best from them. The refined products lose many of their qualities.
- First of all, put the coconut butter, mango butter, shea putter and olive oil in the jar.
- Place the jar in the pan and warm the pan over low heat.
- Add the almond oil and calendula oil, then stir until well combined.
- Continue warming the pan on a low heat until the butters fully melt.
- After that add the essential oil and stir until well combined.
- Get the jar out of the pan (be careful not to get burned) and pour the mixture into the container.
- Allow the lotion to cool down and harden. If you are in a hurry, you can put it in the fridge. It will harden in 2-3 hours.
- If you want to use it for more than 2 months, you should keep it in the fridge.
- You will get about 150 g of lotion by using the given amounts of ingredients.
And now, let me tell you something about the ingredients.
• Shea butter has been used for centuries for treating the dry skin, eczema, psoriasis because it has incredible moisturizing qualities.
• Mango butter has about the same effects as the shea butter, plus a lot of antioxidants and vitamins. It reduces the itch and inflammation.
• Coconut oil is well known for its antibacterial qualities
• Almond oil nourishes the skin.
• Calendula oil heals all kind of irritations. This is the reason for using it in cosmetic products for babies.
You may use this lotion for your baby, too. It contains only natural and healthy ingredients. And I have to tell you that my daughter’s skin is smooth and soft now.